Please click on the links or navigation bar (top left =) for more pages

Home  Contact  Loft conversion  Roofing  Fascia  Guttering  Sash windows   Wetrot  Dryrot  Woodworm

Adapting homes to improve mobility making it easier and safer for elderly and disabled people to live at home

 These helpful guidelines will help to make living in your own home easier, you should also seek independent advice before adapting your home. Your doctor, social services and your local tax office will help you.

If you have a disability or use a wheelchair that makes using the stairs or getting to the bathroom difficult, there are adaptations that can be made to your home, ranging from:

  • Installing grab rails and stair rails, 
  • building easy access ramps for disabled and wheelchair access. 

Ramps and other basic changes really can make getting in and around your home easier.

Some building work adapting a home where a disabled person lives full time is VAT free when it is carried out converting your private home by making a declaration claiming zero rating and handing this to the builders.

The work can include:

  • Converting and adapting homes for disabled and wheelchair access.
  • Building ramps for wheelchair access.
  • Widening doorways and passages to make access easier for a disabled person. 
  • Installing a lift between floors to make access easier. 
  • Adapting bathrooms and toilets making them easier to use by a disabled person, this includes bathroom aids like grab rails and bath seats.

 Before you make any adaptations it's important to get expert advice on the equipment and adaptations that will help with your particular disability needs. The social services department or your doctor can arrange for an occupational therapist to visit to assess your disability and suggest aids and building work that will be specific to helping you. We would not normally carry out any building work without this report.

We are aware of and sensitive to disabled house holders needs and take on a wide range of mobility work  wether it be hand grips fitted in the bathroom or "drive in" showers for people using a wheelchair.

Adapting a house for disabled persons and home owners or householders using a wheelchair sometimes involves working with specialist mobility equipment suppliers who supply the especially designed equipment which we design into the conversion and then build in. This would involve lifts, stair lifts and walk in showers.

Examples of adapting building work and conversions for the disabled and wheelchair users, where we would involve a specialist building services supplier for disabled people are. Installing showers over baths and providing level access shower, Creating a downstairs WC, Building home extensions for the disabled and wheelchairs, Installing modular buildings Lift apertures Kitchens - both rise and fall and standard.

We would not need to call on specialist building services or suppliers of specialist equipment for the following mobility building work.  Widening doors, building access ramps and steps, installing handrails and converting gardens to be more access friendly for gardeners  with a disability or in a wheelchair.

Help toward paying for mobility building work to adapt your home.

If you are disabled or use a wheelchair you might qualify for financial help with the cost of adapting your home. Your local council can advise on providing access to your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room. 
The types of work include: can include, installing a lift, providing a toilet and shower downstairs, installing a ramp and grab rails to the front door, moving and adapting light switches and heating controls to make them easier to use, widening doorways and installing ramps for wheelchair access, 
improving access to your garden.

Help with Paying to adapt your home.
If you are disabled or use a wheelchair you may qualify for financial help with the cost of adapting your home. Your local council has a legal obligation to offer disabled facilities grants to people who need essential adaptations which help to move in and out of and around your home and provide access to your kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room. 
You can claim for a disabled facilities grant if you are disabled, its your main home and you intend to live in the home throughout the grant period which is five years.

The types of mobility work you might have carried out with a disabled facilities grant, include: 

  • installing a lift,
  • providing a toilet and shower downstairs,
  • installing a ramp and grab rails to the front door,
  • moving and adapting light switches and heating controls to make them easier to use,
  • widening doorways and installing ramps for wheelchair access,
  • improving access to your garden.

How to apply for a grant towards the cost of mobility building work

Applying for a disabled facilities grant.
Applications for disabled facilities grants are processed by the housing department at your local council you will need to ask them for an application form for a disabled facilities grant.
If you haven't already done so you will need to arrange for an occupational therapist to visit to assess what adaptations you need. 

The grant is means tested and can take up to six months to get a decision.
The key facts about Disabled Facilities Grants for adapting your property and providing easier mobility at home, giving people with a disability and wheelchair users better freedom of movement into and around there home. 

Who can apply for a mobility grant?

If you or someone in your home is disabled, you may qualify for a grant from your local council, towards providing adaptations and necessary facilities. You can apply if you are the owner or a tenant. If you are a tenant your landlord can apply for you. 


Mandatory grant for adapting your home.
If you are disabled, a grant may be mandatory for essential adaptations and provide essential facilities. The types of work are:-

  • Access to and from. To make it easier to get into and out of your home by widening doors and installing ramps.
  • Safe room. To  provide a safe specially adapted room where a disabled could be left safely. This could include improved lighting to provide  better visibility.
  • Access room to room. To make access easier to the living room by providing or improving access to the bedroom, kitchen, toilet, washbasin, bath or shower facilities, by installing a stair lift or providing a downstairs bathroom.
  • Heating. To improve or provide a heating system in your home suitable to the needs of the disabled person and adapt heating or lighting controls making them easier to reach and use.
  • Improving access and movement around your home so if you are disabled person you can care for another person who lives in the same property.

Discretionary grants.
At the discretion of your council, grants for disabled people can also be provided for other work to your home, adapting  it to be more suitable accommodation for disabled people. 

Disabled children play. This work adapting your home, can include providing a safe play areas for disabled children.

Working from home. Adapting an existing room to enable a housebound disabled person to work from home.

These are not mandatory and you should check with your own council before starting any work adapting your home.

Your application will need to show the mobility work adapting your home is necessary, appropriate, reasonable and practical.

We can quote for mobility building work in.

North somerset,Somerset, Ashcott , Axbridge | Backwell ,Bath, Brent Knoll ,Bridgwater | Bristol|Bruton , Burnham-on-Sea ,| Castle Cary | Chard | Cheddar | Churchill | Clevedon, Congresbury , Farrington Gurney | Faulkland | Frome | Glastonbury | Highbridge, Keynsham ,Long Ashton | Lympsham, Midsomer Norton ,Radstock | Shepton Mallet | Somerton | Street | Taunton | Wedmore,Winscombe | Winsford | Wookey | Woolverton | Worle, Bristol | Chipping Sodbury | Clevedon | Clifton | Flax Bourton | Henbury | Keynsham | Lawrence Weston | Long Ashton | Nailsea | Old Sodbury | Paulton | Portishead | Saltford | Severn Beach | Shirehampton | Stoke Gifford |Thornbury | Westbury Park | Westbury-on-Trym | Weston-super-Mare .Westonzoyland| Winterbourne | Wotton-under-Edge |Wrington | Yate | Yatton .|.North Somerset.Abbots Leigh | Almondsbury | Alveston | Backwell | Barrow Gurney | Bedminster | Berkeley | Bishop Sutton | Bishopston | Bitton | Blagdon | Bradley Stoke | Brislington | Bristol | Bristol Airport | Chew Magna | Chipping Sodbury | Clapton In Gordano | Clevedon | Clifton | Clutton | Clutton Hill | Coalpit Heath | Codrington | Coombe Dingle | Cotham | Countywide | Dundry | Easton-In-Gordano | Eastville | Emersons Green | Failand | Farrington Gurney | Felton | Filton | Fishponds | Flax Bourton | Hallen | Hambrook | Henbury | Horfield | Horton | Hotwells | Kewstoke | Keynsham | Langford | Lawrence Weston | Long Ashton | Longwell Green | Mangotsfield | Montpelier | Nailsea | Old Sodbury | Oldland Common | Olveston | Patchway | Paulton | Pensford | Pill | Pilning | Portbury | Portishead | Redhill | Redland | Saltford | Severn Beach | Shirehampton | Southville | St Pauls | St Philips | Stanton Drew | Staple Hill | Stapleton | Stoke Bishop | Stoke Gifford | Temple Cloud | Temple Meads | Thornbury | Tockington | Westbury Park | Westbury-on-Trym | Whitchurch | Wick | Winscombe | Winterbourne | Winterbourne Down | Wotton-under-Edge | Wraxall | Wrington | Yate | Yatton | Weston super mare|Milton|Worle|Banwell|Worlbury|Uphill|.